Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Reflection and the Final Days

Six months ago I set a goal to race my first duathlon, the 3rd Annual Bronda's Du at Texas Motor Speedway. The race consists of a 2 mile run on the infield track, a 15 mile bike around the speedway, and then another 2 mile run. Not being much of a runner, training started off slow. Around the end of May I was sidelined for a few weeks with an injury. I started pushing my training too hard, too quickly and strained my right leg. I was out of commission for a few weeks due to numbness and nerve issues. Thanks to a great chiropractor, Dr. Todd Petersen with ChiroSport, I got my running legs back. It was really good to be back running. I never really enjoyed it when I was a kid, but now I love getting out and going for a long run.


By around August I had increased my milage to running about 6-9 miles on my long training days. But just as things start clicking along at a good pace, another wrench. Our lease was coming up at our apartment and we had to move. Packing, moving, and unpacking seriously took a good chunk of my training time and the race date was quickly approaching. Thankfully our new apartment complex has a great workout room with spinner bikes so I have been able to do some indoor training since I'm farther away from White Rock now. It has been slow going the past few weeks though. Finally on October 26 I signed up for the race and I also purchased my USA Triathlon License. I was both excited and nervous. Am I going to be ready? Have I logged enough hours? I'm not looking to get on the podium by any means, but I still want to have a good showing and finish without being gassed.

We are now 3 days away from the race. Final heavy training is in the books. The bike has been inspected. All that's left...is anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment